By registering on the Imbeko website (the “Site”) as a tutor with Imbeko, you (“Tutor”) agree to be bound by the terms and conditions of the Site (the “Terms”), and those Terms as well as these Tutor terms shall govern your obligations and the payments made to you by Students through the Site.
Upon acceptance of the Tutor by Imbeko, Imbeko agrees to list the Tutor, on the Site, as a provider of tutored lessons to students (“Students”).
Nature of appointment
The Tutor expressly acknowledges that he/she is an independent contractor, and is not an employee of Imbeko. Nothing in these terms shall be deemed to constitute or imply any partnership, joint venture, employment or fiduciary relationship between the Tutor and Imbeko.
No guarantee of tutoring projects
The listing of a Tutor on the Site does not guarantee that the Tutor will receive any tutoring lessons, and the Tutor agrees that he/she may not make any claim or demand upon Imbeko for the provision of tutoring projects. In particular, the Tutor acknowledges that, among other factors, Student discretion dictates which Tutor is finally chosen to render their services to a Student.
Conditions for guaranteeing receipt of payment for student lessons
Imbeko is a marketplace for those seeking tutoring services in an African language to connect with those seeking to provide tutoring services. Imbeko also provides a service to its users whereby payments will be distributed to tutors that originate from their students. Imbeko offers tutors a layer of protection in the collection of their funds but, if any of the following conditions are not met and Imbeko is unable to collect your payment from the Student to whom you gave a lesson, Imbeko cannot guarantee that your payment will be successfully collected, processed and distributed to you:
- The information pertaining to the lesson is accurate. This includes the agreed start and end time, duration and subject. Unless otherwise agreed to by the Tutor and Student, the start and end time will be considered to be the times of the actual tutoring lesson, not arrival and departure times to and from the tutoring location.
- Prior to each lesson being given, the Student has on file with Imbeko valid payment details.
- The lesson has been delivered in-person at a mutually agreed upon location.
- The Tutor has conducted him- or herself in accordance with good tutoring practice.
- The Tutor enters the lesson into the Imbeko system or assesses a cancellation fee within seven (7) days of the lesson occurring. Payment for lessons entered outside of this window cannot be distributed until the lessons are approved by the student. Lessons cannot be submitted more than thirty-one (31) days after the date of the lesson.
- The Tutor does not collect or request payment directly from the Student by cash or otherwise, for the lesson.
Release of payment
In return for the Tutor’s acceptable performance in providing tutored lessons, in accordance with this agreement and the Terms, Imbeko shall release a Student’s payment to the Tutor at 70% of the lesson rate advertised and agreed to at the outset of each tutoring project.
Rates for tutored lessons to be provided by the Tutor may vary between tutoring projects and are all-inclusive; any costs required to be incurred in providing the tutored lesson (including transport) are to be borne by the Tutor.
The remaining 30% of the money due for each lesson will be paid in bulk to the tutor at the completion of the 15-week course.
You may be partnered with a second tutor for the first 1-3 weeks until Imbeko are comfortable that you are ready to take classes on your own. In this case, you will receive 50% of the income for these weeks, and so will your fellow tutor. This is a form of on-the-job training.
- The Tutor agrees that in exchange for Imbeko’s services, Imbeko and its partners shall charge the Tutor a service fee, which shall be inclusive of VAT, which commission will be deducted from any monies received and held by Imbeko from Students in respect of tutored lessons conducted by the Tutor, prior to release of earned fees to the Tutor.
- The percentage of service fee charged per tutored lesson may vary from one project to the next, depending on the number of lessons purchased by a Student.
Imbeko’s service fee structure is as follows:
|Number of students in a group||Service Fee|
Imbeko shall have complete discretion regarding whether a Tutor is accepted and listed on the Site. The minimum criteria that a Tutor needs to comply with are as follows:
- Uploading a valid identification & qualification document (including wok permit, where applicable)
- A police safety clearance
- An exact teaching location, where applicable
- An accurate biography
- Completed the Imbeko Tutor Training course
- Have at least one 90-minute session available per week
- Have set a suitable profile picture
- Have a valid cell phone number
The Tutor allows Imbeko to perform the necessary due diligence on the Tutor which may include the verification of all documentation relating to the Tutor, including the police safety certificate.
Imbeko shall make payment of fees for tutored lessons to the Tutor within 7 days of lesson completion, subject to the Tutor’s request for payment via the Site.
The Tutor acknowledges that as an independent contractor they are solely responsible for reporting and paying any tax due under any applicable legislation in respect of income derived through providing tutored lessons.
General Operational Conditions
- You are required to arrange sessions with your students and set up a what’s app group or similar to notify them of any changes.
- If you have to miss a session, the class needs to be notified at least 24 hours in advance, and you need to let us know. In emergencies, the class needs to be told as soon as possible.
- Defaulting on more than 1 week in a course could lead to Imbeko allocating another tutor.
The Tutor agrees that, during and for twelve (12) months after he/she is listed on the Site, the Tutor will not provide paid or unpaid tutoring services for any Student that has been referred to it by Imbeko. In this way, the Tutor agrees to not circumvent Imbeko.